Rules for Your Signage

by | Feb 15, 2022

Whether you own an office, a shop, a factory, or warehouse, the chances are that your business will require some signage to show people who you are and what you do.


But did you know that most business owners tend to overlook that there are certain rules to follow when sign writing and erecting business signage. In fact, tenant signage and advertising rights have the cause of very many disputes in commercial property leases.

So, before you start thinking about what you need to have on your company signage, firstly, think if you need to ask for permission to put your signs up and whether you may need other consent to do so.

Consent and permission will depend on the following things –

  1. Local Authority planning requirements – different local planning departments have different rules and regulations as to what is and is not allowed, so it’s important to check with your local council. Although some signage doesn’t need any consent at all, but some local authorities have strict rules, and you don’t want to fall foul of them!
  2. Your proposed signage – check whether it falls within one of the sixteen categories that don’t need formal planning consent. This is known as ‘deemed consent.’
  3. Your lease – if you are a tenant, you need to check with your landlord to make sure that they haven’t put any restrictions on your tenancy.

What does ‘deemed consent’ mean?

Deemed consent is given to advertisements and signage in certain classes. This means that if your signage is within one of those classes, you will have consent automatically from your local authority to display your signage as you wish.

There is an exception though and that is if you’re planning to display a sign within an ‘Area of Special Control of Advertisement’.  If this is the case, then stricter controls may operate in these areas because of their scenic,  architectural or historical features.

If you are unclear as to  whether your signage falls within a ‘specified class,’ it’s always advisable to speak with the local authority or your Solicitor.

A good place to find all the information you need before you make a decision about your signage, is to look at the Town and Country Planning legislation document here. or take a look at the Government website here

Which details everything you need to know about what you needs to do and local authority guidelines.

We are  Severn Signs and have grown to become the largest independent and trusted sign makers in Gloucestershire, with a knowledge of the sign business that is second to none.

We take pride in our work and always strive to give an excellent service.  Check out what our customers say here


If you have a business and need some new signage, then come over and speak to us!  We have many years’ experience in helping local businesses get their message out to their target market through impactful and long lasting signage.

Our signage services include:

  • Vehicle Graphics
  • Exterior Signage
  • Interior Signage
  • Outdoor and Pavement signage
  • Window Graphics and Decals
  • Exhibition displays
  • Banners and Flags

So, if you’re thinking about promoting your business with more signage or different messaging, then talk to us at Severn Signs.  We’ll be happy to help you with your new project.  Take a look at our website or give us a call on 01452 739 156 – we’d be happy to hear from you!